What gives you the itch?

  • Fancied the challenge;

  • Wanted to raise money for charity; 

  • To see what it's all about;

  • An opportunity to get fitter and healthier; 

  • Someone encouraged you to give it a go; 

  • A drunken agreement with a friend/ colleague; 

  • Would like to better a previous time and/or distance;

  • You've already got the Parish Walk bug; or

  • Something else?

There are so many reasons why so many of us sign up and train for the 85 mile walk around the open roads of the Isle of Man. Not only are we training for this gruelling physical and mental challenge but most of us are doing so whilst juggling children, jobs, social activities and a whole host of other commitments which can all be quite demanding of our time.

 

Being a PE Teacher I have always had a keen interest in fitness and was playing hockey up until the birth of Emira in 2015; and then continued to play Netball up until Summer 2022. Time can be very precious with a young family so now I find walking the easiest form of exercise when I try to fit it in around our week-to-week schedule: often once the kids are in bed; whilst they're at a club; or I'll walk to (or home from) wherever we might be for the day and meet Nick and the girls there.

 

I first added my name to the finishers list in 2009, although my first attempt at the Parish Walk came when I returned home from University in Leeds in 2007.  There certainly wasn’t a lot of training behind me in that first year; it was just a case of let's go out and see what it's all about. To be honest I don't remember too many of the finer details such as who I walked with, what I ate, how the weather was, what I wore etc. 

 

The original plan was to walk to Peel as this was a common target for people making their first attempt (as the years have gone by I feel as though the popular target parishes have gradually gotten further into the course). One point I do distinctly remember was walking through Dalby on the day thinking if I still feel like this when I get to Peel I'll carry on a little bit further. Mum was ahead of me stomping towards another finish but did keep checking in with me to see how I was doing. It was around this point I received a call and told her I planned to go further than the intended 32.5 mile target. 

 

After approaching Peel I carried on through into Kirk Micheal, still feeling good and enjoying the experience. At this point I wanted to see how far I can go, and the further into the walk I got the more I could understand why people come back year on year.

 

Once I got to Bride, however, I felt I'd hit a wall, but someone at the checkpoint said to me “It's only three miles until Andreas... keep going”, so I pushed on. The next three miles felt like the longest and were definitely the three slowest I had done, and not feeling any better I decided to call it a day when I reached Andreas church. This was around the 13 hour mark when I clocked in and retired from my first attempt. The feeling I had was incredible: a late entry' minimal training; and 55 miles complete. I was made up!

 

For anyone who's clocked in at Andreas before, you’ll know that feeling of great discomfort or even popping blisters as you walk up (and back down) that cobbled path. It felt like a new challenge in itself, feeling sore and a bit sorry for myself, and having to trudge back down that dreaded path in the dark (a no go zone for vehicles/support cars). 

 

That evening I got home and had a hot bath (this is probably not the best bit of advice but it’s something I much prefer to do than throwing myself into a bath of ice) before getting into bed. I lay there knowing that Mum still had several hours of walking to go, but whilst I lay in bed that evening I thought to myself surely this isn't normal; surely you shouldn't be in this much pain from walking? Does everyone feel like this or have I done some serious damage? Do people really go back for more when they feel like this? I couldn't move an inch without using the headboard to assist me (there were a few tears).

 

I guess my tip here would be: be prepared and try to do some training before the day arrives as you never know what feeling you'll get on the day or how far you'll push yourself. It could be a lot further than you had planned. 

 

In 2008 I didn't take part in the walk as I was away at Edge Hill University training to be a Teacher, however I was back in time to support Mum on what was to be her 4th consecutive finish should she make it…and she did! 

  

One final point as we quickly approach the festive period...at this time of year it's quite normal to feel like you're not doing enough physical activity, and there will be loads of other people in the exact same position as you. Everyone has their own tasks they try to juggle, whether it be children's nativity plays, carol concerts, Christmas shopping, work parties or general catch-up socials. Try not to feel guilty about not getting out as much as you might like - there's plenty of time to let the training commence in January. Take the opportunity over the next few weeks to enjoy some quality time with family and friends and I hope everyone has a great Christmas and New Year! 

 

Sammy x


Comments

Popular Posts