That 1st Finish

Happy 2023 - Normality resumes 

I'd like to start this post with wishing you all a happy and healthy 2023. I cant believe were nearly half way through January. 

Now that the festive period is over, the decorations are packed away, the house is full of chocolate and myself and the kids are back to school we're pretty much back to our usual weekly routine after a wonderful two weeks off over Christmas. 

It is always the same at this time of year, I don't believe in setting new year's resolutions so instead I always try to start the year off in the best possible way by setting myself the challenge to walk every day for the month of January. I think as long as I am getting out regularly and spending time on my feet, even if it's just a gentle mile or two with the kids through the glen or around the plantation then every little helps. I find this a good way to refresh after a day's work to clear your mind, and more often than not it isn't a speedy training walk, in fact it's often a social loop around Laxey with friends, or it could be a quick 30 min on the treadmill at work but of course, when the time suits I will try to get a few longer walks in as well. 

2023 started off with a long walk with my good friend Rachel Morton in the UK. After very little sleep, copious amounts of fizz, red wine and cheese on NYE we set off from hers to another friend's house to enjoy some more New Years Day celebrations and managed to finish off our 10.6 mile walk with another glass of red for good measure to celebrate 2023 beginning with a good old stomp. Whilst away, I convinced Rach to enter the Parish, book her flights and come stay with me for the weekend, so I'm looking forward to hearing all about her training and helping her get as far as she can on the day.

2019 - Crossing the finish line for the 1st time

Come 2009 I felt ready and raring to go. I'd been living at home for just over a year, was now working at Ballakermeen High School and found time to get out in the evenings and at weekends with Mum. We trained together throughout the year, but it was nothing too serious - we had no watches to clock our miles or check our speed, we just went out walking because we enjoyed it. 

Most of our walks were short - an hours loop round the block, for example, but we did manage to get a couple of long ones in, such as Ramsey to Douglas. Come the day we learned it was to be enough to get me around the course to claim a very proud first finish. The feeling of crossing the line for the first time is one I'll never forget - I distinctly remember the tears (although these started at the top of Whitebridge and continued through Onchan and down onto Douglas Promenade). Looking back I think it was because at this point in the walk I actually believed it was going to happen... I was going to complete the Parish Walk! The trigger was also seeing my dad that set me off, standing there with my two younger brothers (aged 11 and 9 at the time) who I was so surprised to see.

I couldn't believe I had done it! I crossed the finish line beside my Mum in joint 30th place and joint 5th ladies, in a time of 19:08:20. 

         

(Pictures above from my first finish in 2009 - Me and Mum en route during the Parish walk. My best friend Sarah Maltby (MHK) congratulated me on the finish line and myself with brothers Nathan and William Draper). 

Something inspiring to finish off with and something that my Mum should be super proud of - She currently has the title for the most consecutive starts and finishes with 10 on the bounce! Having had a break after 6 consecutive finishes to have Emira and Elsie I will now need to complete it for the next 8 years should I wish to match this. 

Up next…2021 - The year my name was put on the Trophy 

 

Sammy x

Comments

Popular Posts